Caramel Peanut Popcorn
This Caramel Peanut Popcorn has been a family favorite for years. If you grew up loving Cracker Jacks, you’re going to love this crunchy treat. It makes a great gift over the holidays, or is delicious as a light snack any time of the year.
- 2 quarts freshly popped popcorn
- 2 cups unsalted roasted peanuts (You can also use almonds, walnuts or sunflower seeds, depending on your preference.)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon Rain's Choice vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat over to 300 degrees.
- Cover two, 10x15 baking pans, with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or kettle, toss together popcorn and peanuts. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan stir together the sugar, water and honey, then cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. Continue cooking until syrup reaches 250 degrees on a candy thermometer (or when a drop in cold water for a ball that is plastic, yet hard enough to hold its shape). Add butter and stir until melted. Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Pour syrup over popcorn mixture and toss together until evenly coated. Spread onto the two baking pans, then bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring once after 15 minutes.
- I have found that it is easier to mix the popcorn-nut mixture in two batches because it makes a lot to try and mix easily.