Courtesy of Pat Sinclair, Classic Scandinavian Baking
Pat says, “To Scandinavians, “tosca” means a layer of sliced almonds covered with a buttery caramel topping. The tender sponge cake is leavened mostly by air beaten into the eggs and is typical of the type of cakes popular in Scandinavia. Toasting the almonds brings out their nutty flavor and adds color to the topping.”
A picture’s worth a thousand words…
Make this Norwegian Toscakake, photograph it for our contest and qualify to win a copy of Vanilla: The Cultural History of the World’s Favorite Flavor and Fragrance
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon Rain’s Choice Pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or spray with nonstick cooking spray the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring-form pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the whites in a mixer bowl with the whisk attachment until foamy. Gradually beat in the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Place in another bowl.
- Whip the egg yolks in the mixer bowl with the whisk attachment until they are light and lemon colored, about 4 minutes. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolks, using a light touch.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture in 4 batches. Fold in the butter and almond extract. Pour into the prepared spring-form pan.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven. Heat broiler to high.
- While the cake is baking, combine the sugar and flour for the topping in a small saucepan. Add the butter and milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the almonds and almond and vanilla extracts.
- Pour the topping over the cake and place under the broiler. Broil until the topping is brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cool on a wire cooling rack 5 minutes. Run a metal spatula around the side of the pan to loosen. Remove the side of the pan. Cool completely.
The Vanilla Company - Simply the best wholesale, bulk vanilla http://www.vanillaqueen.com/
Sign up for the Queen's Newsletter - It's Free!
Get recipes, special discounts, and news on issues of concern about our planet and its inhabitants. Over 5,000 subscribers!