Strawberry Rhubarb Fool With Vanilla Cream
You’ve got to love the quirky names the Brits have for some of their older recipes. Fool is one of my favorites though Bubbles and Squeak and Toad-in-a-Hole are up there on my list of “faves.”
This is a little different from traditional Fool recipes, which are made with minced or pureed fruits and whipped cream or custard. This recipe has cooked rhubarb and strawberries, whipped cream blended with crème fraiche and delicate rose water. You are welcome to substitute other fruits for the strawberries and rhubarb if you choose. Just keep the proportions more or less the same.
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons taihitian vanilla extract
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and cut in halves
- 1 pound rhubarb, tops and bottoms trimmed and any leaves removed,
- Sliced crosswise into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (may substitute white grape juice but cut sugar some)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla bean powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons rose water
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- Additional strawberries for garnish if desired
- Put crème fraiche and heavy cream in a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar and vanilla, cover and refrigerate.
- In a medium saucepan toss rhubarb and strawberries with the sugar and ground vanilla powder. Add wine and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally and gently until the liquid is a little creamy and rhubarb is tender but the pieces are still largely intact, about 15 - 20 minutes. Let cool completely, then stir in rose water.
- With a whisk or handheld electric mixer, whip the cream mixture until it's fluffy and holds semi-stiff peaks. Spoon some of the rhubarb mixture into the bottom of a large bowl or the bottoms of 4 - 6 glass bowls or glasses. Top with a layer of cream. Repeat layers until you've used everything, finishing with a layer of rhubarb. Cover and refrigerate until cold. Add a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg if desired, before serving and/or garnish each with a strawberry.
- Serves 4 - 6
Latest posts by Patricia Rain (see all)
- Vanilla – Saffron Scented Butternut Squash Risotto - October 21, 2017
- Pumpkin Chiffon Cake - October 18, 2017
- The Differences Between Pure Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Flavor, and Imitation Vanilla - October 11, 2017
Trackback from your site.